Tuesday, September 27, 2011

General Update

I’m now working everyday! The headquarters is located in Abu Dhabi; one hour from where I live in. It sounds pretty bad but not really. Thanks to my best bud Christie I have great music for the ride! She has the best taste in music and I love the CD’s she so painstakingly burns for me. If it weren’t for that it would be a long boring drive. By the way, Christie, I’m going to need a lot more of your custom burned CD’s when I come home at Christmas. It’s worth the hour drive to live in Dubai on The Walk when you have good music to jam to along the way.

I started work at the onset of Ramadan ( August) so the work hours were shortened from 8-4 to 9-3. Also, it is customary for locals to take lots of time off during Ramadan so there was a skeleton staff at best. Everything slows down or essentially shuts down during Ramadan so there wasn’t much to do but I finally have the necessary credentials to access the company network.  Also, during Eid, the end of Ramadan, the company completely shut down for a week.   So I got abbreviated hours for the first month and a week off with full pay to start.

I was working at GAL headquarters but I have been moved to a military base. I really like it out there and am finally actually getting to do some work. There are almost no other women working in my particular area so I have elected to wear an abaya. The military base is very conservative and I will be in meetings with upper brass types. I was told if anyone complained about my attire I would not be allowed back on the base so I am covered from neck to ankles in black; I don’t wear the headscarf. It’s not so bad really. I would have to wear slacks or a dress length below my knees and shoulders must be covered. The abaya is loose fitting and very comfortable. And if I don’t anticipate having to go to GAL HQ then I can wear leggings and a tank top underneath and no one would know the difference. I was told by a couple of the Arabic men I work with I didn’t have to wear an abaya but I don’t want to do anything to risk  offending anyone so I eliminated the risk. They seemed impressed that I respect the culture and would go so far to stay within the dress guidelines. The work hours are from 7-2 so with the hour drive I am working 6-3 just like my former job in the states. Jimmy & I love getting home at three and going to beach in the afternoon- that has been very cool. Well, sort of.

The water in the Gulf is almost as hot as my shower temp- really, that warm. It’s not very refreshing but still better than sitting on the beach under blazing skies at 108 degrees! It’s still nice and because the beach is just across the street we can go for an hour and be back home in the AC pretty quick. In the evening after dinner we try to watch some TV. I say try because that is truly a challenge. There are 8-10 English channels but the problem is the program guide. It may say XXX show starts at 7pm but it is always 10-20 minutes late and may not be the show the guide says will be on. Also, the programs we watched (lots of CSI type shows and comedies- Friends, etc.) disappeared! One day we are watching our regular line up of programs and literally the next they are gone! All of them- not just one or two! The shows that replaced them are really not good and change every day. We never know what show is going to be on what channel from one day to the next. Very frustrating!

Overall we are doing very well. Jimmy gets frustrated at work because it is so difficult and time consuming to get anything done. Paralysis by analysis. It’s the local way to beat everything to death and after a decision has finally been made- to change it. I keep telling him to relax and go with it- we are getting paid the same whether an action takes a week or six months to execute but he is a man of action and can’t stand the wasted time and effort to get even a simple action executed. He is doing better now that I am on the base working with him- I have calming effect on him I guess! And we are making progress on some items.

So here I am a week later finally finishing this post. The weather has cooled to the upper/mid 90’s and the water in the Gulf temp has cooled to about the same as you would bathe a baby. We go to the beach almost every day now after work and it has been great. The TV programming is still screwed up-bad! We finally bought some DVD’s to fill in the gaps- like almost every day!  I love my abaya! I know it may sound crazy but wouldn’t you love to wear shorts and a tank to work and cover up with what is essentially a big nightgown?! I keep a dress and shoes in my car in case I have to go to GAL HQ and wear anything I want every day.

Some shout outs-

Denny- I hope your taking care of yourself! Did you go on your camping trip this year? How is Denver & Jeremy?  I miss you bunches. Tell Tracey I said hey and thanks for taking care of Spike!

Jack & Kay- It was great hearing from you a while back. I hope your health continues to improve, Jack. I sure hope you & Kay have to opportunity to come here someday; we would love to see some friendly faces. Jack- I really miss your leadership. They could learn some lessons from your play book on how to effectively manage and execute a program. The leadership here has good intentions and truly want to make things happen but the process is cumbersome, tedious and time consuming. There doesn’t seem to be a way to cut through the BS as that is an integral part of the process.

John Wilson & ILS buddies- I hope you’re doing well. I miss you a lot!

Bob & Carole- It never took you 6 months to do a scope of work! That is our challenge- sure could use you! Carole you would love it here!

LTPO- Mary, Kate, Tammy, Lisa, Larry, Troy, Steve, Max, Jim, Lupe, Carolyne & Angela- I miss working with such a great team! Like I said earlier- getting things done here is a major exercise in patience and tenacity. You all are such professionals and execute your programs with proficiency. I work with very nice people now but, again, the process is the problem.

Texas & Penn.- Bobby, Joe B., Dave, Jody, Kandis, Crystal, Joe S., James, Bob, Rob,  Ken- Same as above goes for you guys! Can’t is not in your vocabulary- you just find another way to get ‘er done!

Wayne- You are in our prayers; we think of you often and wish you all the best.

Ya’ll keep in touch and don’t forget to check out my blog- heretodaydubaitomorrow@blogspot.com.  I have lots of pics and stuff about living in Dubai. Just a simple country girls view.

Jimmy & I are doing great and happy. We just miss our friends and family so very much! You have a place to stay if anyone wants to visit!

Peace, Love and Happiness to all-

J&M

No comments:

Post a Comment