Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mothers Day

Good morning all! Today is Mothers Day in the US and I want to wish all mothers everywhere, especially my own, a very Happy Mothers Day. This is the first time I have not spent Mothers Day with my girls so I celebrate the day with a heavy heart. I have been flooded with memories the past couple of days; far too many to go into but here are a few I would like to share today.

My mom was born in Germany, married a soldier (my beloved father) and had 3 children before moving to the US. I can only imagine her fear and trepidation moving to a new country with not only herself to think of but a family including 2 toddlers and an infant. She devoted herself to being a stay at home mom until we all were in grade school. Then she embarked on her own life long dream of becoming a nurse. She worked very hard at her studies; the dining room table was always covered with her books and notepads. She graduated with honors and began her nursing career. She worked the night shift in order to ensure one parent would always be on duty to keep 3 young teenagers in line. Mom is strong minded, very opinionated and never wavers from her beliefs. She has always been true to herself and a loyal to her friends. When her own parents in Germany became unable to care for themselves she moved them in with us and cared for them for several years until thier deaths. It was not easy living with 3 generations under one roof but mom maintained balance and discipline in the home at all times. She cares for her pets as much as her own children; her friends often joke that they would like to come back as one of her pets in thier next life! So I guess I don't have just one memory of my mom to share but an accumulation of all the lessons I learned from her and the examples she has set that have contributed to making me the person I am today.

Ashley, my first born daughter, my Baby. Ashley taught me what true love really is and what it means to love someone more than yourself. She was the most beautiful baby and always happy. It has been an inspiration to watch her grow up and become her own person.  I've often wished I had her passion and spirit. I swear that girl fears no evil and would spit in the eye of the devil himself; heaven help the poor bastard that crosses her! She is creative artistically and musically and so damn smart, too! Ashley has the gift of discernment and is an excellent judge of charactor. She has a sharp wit and wicked sense of humor and entertains every one with her unique insights. Ashley has a host of friends that flock to be around her; she is a "local celebrity" known for her music acumen and distinct humor. I hope she finds her path in life because when she does I know she will excel beyond all hopes and expectations. My memory to share of her is braiding her long hair at bedtime and singing "Tick, Tock Ashley Clock" to put her to sleep. Those tender moments will live in my heart forever.

Dara, my chosen one, my Angel. While Dara is not my birth child she is no less my daughter. I have often told her my heart doesn't have eyeballs and doesn't know any difference in my love for any of my girls. Dara has always been very strong and self reliant. She has seen grief and lived heartache no child her age should have to experience but instead of succumbing to despair she used those experiences to make her stronger. She doesn't want to be given a fish; she wants to catch it herself. She is so lovely to behold and twice as beautiful on the inside.  She is also very smart, works hard at her job and just bought her own house. What a proud day that was! My memory to share is when she was about 10 years old and as skinny as a bean pole. She had her roller skates on and put a leash on her big dog, Jackson, and he ran down the road, Dara in tow. I remember the sunny shining down on her and her laughter ringing through the air like music and that amazing smile; she was just being a kid.

Tara, my littlest one, my Princess. Tara was born with a broken heart but always had plenty of spunk. She was still an infant when the heart surgery was succesful and she has run full speed into life ever since. Tara has the face of a cherub and the most gentle and kind spirit of any one I have ever known. There is not one mean bone in her body and she is incapable of spite. She always exceled as a student as well as taking on extra curricular activities. Tara has an open mind as well as an open heart and accepts people for who they are. She can sing, dance and is fearless in the face of any challenge. She is currently going to college studying biology and chemistry. It is her goal to improve water supplies around the world and to that end she has been accepted to study overseas this summer. She will be in Panama as part of a team working in the field to improve a local water system. That's Tara; a world class recycler who just wants to make the world a better place. My memory to share is her high school graduation day. She was so beautiful and confident. She strode across the stage and accepted her diploma; eager to begin the next phase of her life. We had a party after the ceremony and I remember her being so grown up; such a lovely young lady. Immediately after the guests left Tara packed a few things in a bag and was heading to Texas with a couple of friends. I was not thrilled my little Princess was about to embark on a journey half way across the country; what if something happened? She's too young! But there was no holding Tara back. Just like when she was just a little baby- she has always run full speed into life.

So here I sit with tears in my eyes brimming with pride. Much love to my mom, my daughters and a special shout out to my sister Pam. She is by far the most devoted mother to her son, Jacob, I have ever seen and he is becoming a fine young man as a result. You are all an inspiration to me. Have a great Mothers Day! J&M

2 comments: