Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What I Miss / What I Love

There are many things I miss from home and many aspects of living in Dubai that I love. Now it should go without saying that what I miss the very most are my family and friends; however this post is about the other things I miss.

I miss my garden. I always had a beautiful flower garden with lots of hanging baskets, potted plants and many, many yard toys. It always gave me great joy to piddle about with my plants and watch thier growth and delight in new blossoms. My yard toys included spinning items and water features. Here I have just the one plant on the table on the balcony. I was never good at indoor plants and the balcony is too small for any more plants so this will have to do. The Walk has many plants and flowers, grass and trees of all differents types, colors and sizes so I am grateful I get to enjoy the beauty while I do my morning walk or leisurely stroll. Not my own garden, but still very lovely.

I miss recycling. It's a part of our lifestyle and is a positive practice. I feel guilty everytime I throw away a soda can. This would be an ideal place to recycle. I found the Dubai recycling website and submitted a request for service in my area. Unfortunately recycling is only done in large quantities  which means hotels, etc. My next option is to approach the hotels nearby and ask if they participate in the program and ask if I could drop my recycleables off. I should really follow up on that.

I miss Dale's Sauce. Dale's Sauce is a liquid seasoning that is applied to meats before grilling. I love it because it is not a heavy sauce and is good on beef, pork and chicken. Jimmy grills all of our meat and while it is still very good it's not the same as with Dale's. Next time we go stateside, or bring the girls here (whichever comes first) Dale's will definately be packed!

I miss having a cocktail with dinner. I know in my "Evening Cocktail" post I said I was just as happy to have a cocktail before or after going out to dinner and that I have the option to go to one of several nearby hotels if I wanted to have dinner and drinks. Jimmy and I go downstairs for dinner at least twice a week; it would be lovely to sit at our table outside and enjoy a cocktail while watching the people stroll by and whileing away the evening. I guess I am just being a spoiled little princess and should be grateful for what I have. 

I love how clean it is on The Walk. I go for a 2 mile walk from end to end and back early every morning. By 6:30 am there are already several groundskeepers picking up trash left behind from the day before. They also have a schedule to ensure every step of The Walk is pressure washed regularly. Considering the substantial number of people on The Walk daily this is an impressive operation.

I love how safe I feel here. There are numerous CCTV's and security personnel stationed along The Walk. They are always friendly and offer a smile and a nod as you pass; not at all intimidating. They are there to ensure the vacationers and residents feel safe and offer directions and assistance when asked. In many tourist areas stateside and other countries I have visited, i.e. big cities and other attractions, you may feel more compelled to be "on alert" minding your belongings and such. Here, I feel no sense of risk and am not wary that someone is going to steal my purse or bags if I sit for a while on a bench. I have never felt uncomfortable or ogled. It is a very relaxed atmosphere.

I love that I can walk to the local market do my shopping and walk right outside my building to enjoy a meal out. I have two markets close by that are not major grocery stores but carry far more than a convenience store. I get fresh fruits, veggies and meats every couple of days. I don't have to worry about spoilage because I can get just what we will use and go for a quick walk and get more when I need more. We waste almost no food at all because of this and always have the freshest goods on hand. When we choose to eat out we have a vast variety of restaurants to select from. We don't have to get in the car and drive, no traffic except other foot traffic, and the people watching as we dine is very cool.

So I guess if I weigh what I miss against the benefits of living in Dubai the benefits win. While there is no place like home-living in Dubai makes it a lot easier.

B careful and b safe and remember to take of each other. We love you all and miss YOU most of all! J&M

1 comment:

  1. Well Im glad there are so many things you love!Sucks about the drinking thing though. ANd yes i agree wiht the recycling thing! i miss you too, can't wait for your first trip home! love lolove and miss you! Tara

    ReplyDelete