Saturday, April 30, 2011

Alabama Tornados

Hello all! Sorry I haven't posted anything for a few days. As most of you know Alabama is my home state; all 3 of my daughters, my mom and my sister and her family live in Huntsville. On 27 April Alabama suffered the worst tornado storms since 1935; the second worse in our history. Entire communties have been destroyed. To date 249 people were killed and thousands more injured. Thankfully my home in downtown Huntsville was spared any damage; that is where 2 of my daughters live. The community where my other daughter lives suffered significant damage; her home had a tree fall on it but it only clipped the edge. Some external repairs will have to be made but no interior damage. She went outside and the sky turned completely dark, it started to hail and she actually saw a very large tornado bearing down on her neighborhood. She ran inside, jumped in the tub and prayed. The tornado did not touch down but there was considerable wind damage. Because they have been without electricity, the grocery store shelves are nearly completely empty, no restaurants are open and they have had limited cell phone coverage the girls wisely elected to evacuate. Power is not expected to be restored until Wednesday. One went to north Tennesse with her boyfriend to stay with his family, one went to Pigeon Forge, Tn (may as well enjoy a mini vacation!) and the oldest went to a family lake house about an hour outside of Huntsville. I'm so very thankful they are all safe and sound. My mother is in her mid 70's and lives alone. She is staying in her home but my sister checks on her daily. Mom is able to drive to a nearby grocery store that has a generator. They are offering everyone free coffee so she can get her morning coffee. In her own words mom is sub human without her morning coffee! I'm glad she is ok but I hate that she must be so very bored and lonely with no television; good she has her pets to keep her company. Hang in there, mom!

It has been so very frustrating to be so far away and unable to provide direct support for my children and family. I'm a very hands on mom and even though the girls are grown young ladies they will always be my babies. I even feel guilty for living in  beautiful, sun drenched Dubai while they are having to do without electricity; a hot shower is a luxury. I can only say that when they have called we have answered- even at 2 a.m. We advised them of safety and household precautions and transferred money into thier account so they would have the means to attain whatever they needed; food, gas, etc. My heart has been with my Bamaland kin every moment. I sincerely hope the many friends and coworkers I also care for are safe and doing well. Please send me an update soonest!

Please keep those that lost thier lives, thier loved ones and thier homes in your prayers. The devastation is unimaginable and the stories of survival are heart wrenching. However the many accounts of strangers pulling together to help and provide for one another rekindle the belief in community spirit and brotherhood.

Remember to hold your loved ones close- you never know when disaster may strike. Blessings to all. J&M

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the update on your girls, I know how important they are to you. I am sure it was tough not being there during this horrible time and not being able to give them hugs. Your family has been in my prayers for several days now as well as many more of my southern friends and families. I hope all continues to go well in your new home, be safe and send an address when you can.

    ReplyDelete