Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dressing in Dubai

I had never been to the mideast much less Dubai when we decided to move here so the only source of information I had to research what I could expect was the Internet. Because I live in a resort area that is very cosmopolitan my perspective may be a little skewed on what the actual customs are here but what I researched and what I see everyday are very different. My research told me that while Dubai is very progressive it is still a Muslim country and the customs should be respected.

Per my research I should have expected to cover my shoulders, show no cleavage and wear skirts and pants that are knee length. I should especially expect to be properly covered in public areas such as malls and shopping areas. To that end I purchased several Pashima's and capri length pants. I also made sure I had plenty of tops that would also meet the requirement. People here wear exactly what you would see in Alabama. Sometimes worse. On The Walk women wearing spaghetti strap tops, strapless tops and miniskirts/dresses and short shorts is common. On the beach bikinis are the norm even though some of the ladies should seriously reconsider that choice! Just like Bama. I saw one young lady with an amazing body wearing a thong bikini. If she didn't look so good in it it would have been much more noticeable. I also see muslim women in their bathing attire- a long sleeve, long legged one piece suit with a loose wrap over it so as not to reveal thier bodies actual form. Honestly, there is something alluring about not being able to see everything-less is not always more.

I have been to 3 malls to include the Mall of the Emerates. When you enter the malls there are signs posted to wear respectful clothing, no public displays of affection (holding hands, kissing) and a few other rules. Mostly it is more modest than on The Walk but still not nearly as strict as I had researched. Most women wear t-shirts or tank tops with capris or skirts or normal summer dresses. Not so many mini skirts but you will still them some. Very few women wear a pashima. The worst I saw was a large woman wearing a spagetti strap long dress but with a bra that was ridiculous. Because she needed a lot of support the straps were very wide and the back of the dress hung low enough to see the entire back of her bra-basically all you didn't see was the front. Worse yet was the french woman (I heard her speak). She had on a white gauzy mini dress that was very see through- her thongs and pathetic excuse for a bra were very visible. In the south we call that trashy. Maybe she was from south France. I'm not a prude and am grateful I don't have to be so covered up all the time -but come on people! This is a Muslim nation thier culture and religion are very much a part of thier life. How about showing some respect?  I'm not saying we should wear burqa's but would it be so hard to dress appropriately when you are in public? Just because you get away with something doesn't make it right.

I have been here almost a month now and have nothing but wonderful experiences with the people. They are warm and friendly and the most polite people I have ever encountered. Much nicer than most Europeans I have dealt with. Even the children seem better behaved here! Everyday I see women in burqa's, some with the full face covered so you can only see thier eyes, and they are beautiful and gracious. The men are also very respectful. I just have to wonder what they must think of the foreign visitors. I know  tourists spend a lot of money-that is why you build a tourist destination and you should expect a divergence of humanity. And I don't mean to say all the people here dress inappropriately and don't appreciate and respect the Muslim traditions.  But do the Muslims here resent the snub of thier culture? Do they feel thier customs are lost on a hoard of vacationers seeking only sunshine and self indulgence and missing the "other beauty" of thier society? Perhaps not; perhaps they just accept it.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason this reminded me of the people of Wal-mart. What really are they thinking and who lets them leave thier house looking like that. I miss yall and hope to talk to you soon LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! So glad ive gotten to talk to u a lot recently!!!! I love u so much!

    ReplyDelete