Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dollars and Dirhams-Groceries

Good morning all! Today lets talk about money- dollars and dirhams and how much everyday items cost in UAE, availability, etc. The conversion rate today is $1 USD = $3.67 AED (Dirham) or
$1 AED = $.27 USD. The costs below are in USD.

Maxwell House coffee (11.5 oz can) $3.48
Del Monte tuna (med. sized can) $1.04
Hellmans Mayo (med. sized squeeze bottle) $3.52
Store brand ziploc sandwich baggies (30 in box) $3.66
Toilet paper (good brand- 12 rolls) $7.37
Ruffles potato chips (md. bag) $4.01
Iceburg lettuce (1 normal head) $1.36
Fritos (md. bag) $4.28
Bread (normal loaf) $.95
Pepsi's (1 six pack) $2.45
Splenda substitute (small jar) $6.80
Eggs (15 in a pkge) $2.31
Ground Beef ( 1 lbs; very low fat) $3.22
Vodka (Smirnoff md. bottle) $21.78

Comments- Because all the weights are in grams I have to use two conversion sites to calculate the weights and costs for meats/fruits/veggies-I could be off a little. I don't have the info to give more prices on fuits and veggies but I'll save it from my next trip. We have been able to find a lot of common brands here. Can't find Dale's sauce (for grilling) and Splenda (the Splenda substitute is expensive). The bread is OK; we found white bread that tastes good but it gets stale fast. Eggs are sold in either 6 packs or 15 and higher packs. Nothing between 6 and 15. The chips are more expensive here. I can't say enough wonderful things about the the fruits and vegetables. I make a fresh fruit bowl with grapes (white & red seedless), strawberries and bananas. It is like eating candy. The tomatoes and cucumbers are grown locally and have the best flavor! So overall the groceries here are rather inexpensive or at least comparable on most of the things we buy. Let me know if there is anything specific you would like for me to look into.

I'm going to do a seperate post later today with costs to dine out. Hope this has been interesting for ya'll!

I've been reading about the bad weather and tornados you have been having. Hope everyone faired well and is safe and warm and dry. I miss Bamaland and all that it holds dear to me. Much love- M

2 comments:

  1. well things dont sounds toooo expensive, unless you're a college student waiting tables on the weekends hahahaha, do you still love the apartment? I havent seen you on skype in a while! been sooo busy with finals and papers and exams, but after May 4th the load should lighten significantly! i miss you sooooo much mom! i dont even know how to go get my vaccinations to got to Panama, but Im sure Ill figure it out! LOVE you!
    your princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. this just confirms that you need an iphone. most borang grocery list evar. you have to be extreme like me and tara
    Heres ours:
    1 case of pepsi max
    45 lean cuisines
    milk
    cheerios

    aside from the bbq we have on Sundays, this is what we eat.

    ReplyDelete